Updated NMDC Good Practice Guidelines for Reopening Museums 8 Apr 2021
NMDC has updated its Good Practice Guidelines for Reopening Museums in the light of recent Government announcements. The tier system has now moved to a step system, with Step 2 beginning on April 12th with the opening of outdoor areas, and Step 3 from May 17th when museums can reopen their buildings. Major additions include guidance that on reopening museums should:
- Ask every customer or visitor to provide their name and contact details.
- Keep a record of all staff working on your premises and shift times on a given day, and their contact details.
- Keep these records of customers, visitors and staff for 21 days and provide data to NHS Test and Trace if requested.
- Display an official NHS QR code poster, so that customers and visitors can ‘check in’ using this option, as an alternative to providing their contact details. However, you must still have a system to collect (and securely store) names and contact details for those who do not have access to a smartphone.
- Ensure you manage this information in line with data protection regulations.
- There is also updating to information about opening cafes and takeaways – until May 17th food outlets can only be open if they are separate from the museum building, but outdoor seating can be provided.
There is a note of all recent changes to the guidance, and relevant page numbers, towards the bottom of the Good Practice Guidance homepage. NMDC