Museums at Night 2009 6/5/2009
Museums at Night 2009, which took place over the weekend of 15-17 May, is a national campaign led by Culture24 and funded by MLA and NMDC to promote museums, galleries, heritage sites, libraries and archives in the UK. Over a hundred venues across the country signed up to take part in the weekend celebration with events including special night-time screenings, talks and torchlight tours.
Special events included:
- Candlelit curator-led tours of the Sir John Soane's Museum
- Premier of a new planetarium show Ice Worlds at the Royal Observatory, Greenwich
- Battleship Boogie: 1940s dance onboard the HMS Belfast
- Victorian Magic Lantern show at the National Media Museum, Bradford
- Late night tours and treasure hunts at the Discovery Museum, Tyne & Wear Museums
- Spending the Night in the shelter at the Cabinet War Rooms.
- Free film screening and late opening at the National Gallery's exhibition Picasso: Challenging the Past
- Muslim women's music at the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery.