Contract type:Contract Permanent
PA to the Director and Office Manager
Sir John Soane’s Museum is the brilliant creation of a great architect, Sir John Soane (1753-1837), whose atmospheric house-museum displays his collection of antiquities, furniture and paintings as it was left at the time of his death in 1837. This is a pivotal role within the organisation and involves working with all departments and senior members of staff. It provides a fantastic opportunity to work with a wonderful team in a unique National Museum.
As the PA to the Director, you will play a vital role in ensuring that the Director’s diary and travel is managed seamlessly and you will support the management and prioritisation of his daily commitments. You will be someone who is reliable and efficient, with an optimistic attitude, to enable the Director and the Senior Management Team to meet the Museum’s objectives. The role requires excellent organisational, time management and communications skills to proactively deal with conflicting demands and to manage relationships with the appropriate degree of confidentiality, sensitivity and discretion. Enthusiasm for the Soane and familiarity with the Museum sector would be a significant advantage.
You will also be the Museum’s Office Manager, which is important in ensuring that the day-to-day business of the Museum runs smoothly. You will be the first point of contact for enquiries to the Museum by telephone and email, so a friendly and knowledgeable attitude is essential. A high level of multi-tasking is required as you will support the whole Museum’s administrative functions such as managing printers, ordering stationery and liaising with the Museum’s IT and telecom providers. You will also support HR and internal events such as organising summer away days and the Christmas Party.
The role also supports the Board of Trustees. Managing Trustee and Committee meetings, including everything from agendas and meeting paperwork with associated software, taking minutes, and setting up catering/refreshments. This requires a high degree of discretion.
1. PA to the Director
- Manage the Director’s diary, arranging national and international travel
- Assist the Director with the preparation of presentations and reports, printing and correspondence
- Meet and greet visitors and provide refreshments for meetings
- Organise Senior Management Team (SMT) meetings and attend, as necessary
- Assist with the induction of new staff members
- Provide general support to the Director and Senior Management Team including setting up cross-department meetings and administration of interdepartmental projects and reports
- Support the Director and SMT in liaising with important external contacts such as DCMS
2. Support to the Board of Trustees
- Act as the first point of contact between the Board of Trustees and the Museum
- Set Trustee meeting dates
- Prepare Trustee meeting papers for sending out electronically using software ‘convene’
- Take the minutes of Trustee committee meetings.
- Arrange induction new Trustees and maintain the Register of Interests and gifts and hospitality
3. Office Manager
- Be the main point of contact for all telephone and email enquiries from the general public, updating phone system and Museum voicemail messages. Maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of the Museum to share information with the public in a friendly and welcoming manner.
- Run the office and maintain electronic and paper filing systems
- Distribute incoming post. Send out post daily taking to the post office or the post box as required. Maintain the franking machine.
- Maintain effective office supplies such as household items and stationery
- Make travel arrangements including flights, taxis and accommodation as required
- Order catering for the Museum, including tea and coffee for the staff kitchens and lunches for meetings.
- Arrange away-days, staff outings and staff functions including staff leaving teas
- Assist with internal events such as private views, public talks and curatorial breakfasts. These can be in-person as well as via Zoom webinars/hybrid events.
- Cezanne HR Database – act as back up administrator and deal with urgent queries in the absence of the HR Manager
- Provide technical support to the whole Museum for printers, telephones and meetings software such as Zoom and Team
- Experience in an EA/PA or similar role
- Experience of general administrative work and diary management
- Ability to take accurate minutes of meetings
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office and databases with advanced Word and
good typing speed
- Ability to draft letters
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to identify priorities, problem solve and act on own initiative
- Visitor/customer service skills to provide a friendly and professional first point of contact
- The ability to work at all levels – from making tea and ordering stationery to liaising with Director, Boards and DCMS
- Experience of working in the charitable or Museum sector with an understanding of the relationship between organisations and the government
- Enthusiastic about and interested in the work of the Museum
- Experience supporting Committees and Trustees
- Knowledge of charity or heritage sector governance
- Knowledge of software such as Teams, Zoom and Convene
- Experience of taking minutes and supporting a board or committee would be advantageous.
- Confident, friendly and outgoing manner
- Ability to work with discretion and keep confidentiality
- Flexibility to take on other tasks as required from time to time.
Museum Website: http://www.soane.org/jobs