Contract type:Contract Permanent
Assistant Supply Chain Manager
Location: Boston Spa
Hours: Permanent – Full time
We have an exciting opportunity for an Assistant Supply Chain Manager role within the British Library’s Supply Chain Management Team.
As an Assistant Supply Chain Manager your main duties will be to conduct competitive procurements for higher value, more complex contracts for a range of stakeholders across the Library supporting one of the world’s great libraries in preserving the nation’s intellectual memory for the future and make it available to all for research, inspiration and enjoyment.
The Assistant Supply Chain Manager is a challenging and varied role and successful candidates will:
- Manage the tender process in conjunction with relevant legislation, including tender and contract document preparation, tender negotiations, managing evaluations, making recommendations, placing the contract on behalf of the Library and managing the variation and extensions process including leading supplier negotiations as required.
- Deliver maximum value from all third party spend realising benefits through development and management of contracts.
- Conduct market research to ensure an understanding of the market and available suppliers as well as the services they provide.
- Assist to implement the Library’s contract management strategy, including driving supplier performance through robust management and alignment with business objectives
- Development of ‘best practice’ across SCM lifecycle; ensuring documentation is regularly reviewed and updated
- Ensure that BL works within the legal and policy constraints associated with being a public body; including ensuring external compliance with the UK (and EU) legislation and regulations as well as adhering to more general public body requirements such as transparency, stewardship and security of funds and other related Government guidance and regulations
- Actively manage commercial elements of selected contracts.
- Proactively manage BL’s relationship with suppliers through formal and informal processes and communications.
- Take on a range of tasks and to develop new skills, as appropriate to support the delivery of the Library's services as required by line management
As one of the world’s great libraries, our duty is to preserve the nation’s intellectual memory for the future and make it available to all for research, inspiration and enjoyment. At present, we have well over 170 million items, in most known languages, with three million new items added every year. We have manuscripts, maps, newspapers, magazines, prints and drawings, music scores, and patents. We make our collections and programmes available to all. We operate the world’s largest document delivery service providing millions of items a year to customers all over the world. What matters to us is that we preserve the national memory and enable knowledge to be created both now and in the future by anyone, anywhere.
In return, we offer a competitive salary and a number of excellent benefits. Our pension scheme is one of the most valuable benefits we offer, as our staff can become members of the Alpha Pension Scheme where the Library contributes a minimum of 26.6% (this may be higher dependant on grade. Another significant benefit the Library provides is the provision of a flexible working hours scheme which could allow you to work your hours flexibly over the week and to take up to 5 days flexi leave in a 3 month period. This is on top of 25 days holiday from entry and public and privilege holidays.
Closing date: 23 February 2024
Interview date: W/C 11 March 2024
We are unable to provide sponsorship under the UK Skilled Worker visa for this role, as it does not meet the eligibility criteria required for this immigration route