Salary:£21,831 per annum
Contract type:Contract Permanent
Telephone:020 7323 8000
2X Assistant Collection Manager: Care and Access (Middle East)
The Collection Care department is looking to recruit two Assistant Collection Managers in the Middle East Care and Access team with responsibility for all practical aspects of care and preservation of the British Museum collections. The post-holders will work as part of a team with a primary focus on the movement, packing and display of objects in relation to the loans and exhibition programme, but will also contribute to other aspects of collections care across the museum.
Key areas of responsibility:
• To monitor the security of objects and to maintain them in good condition in storage, in transit and whilst on display
• To observe best practice in all aspects of object handling and collection storage and follow Integrated Pest Management procedures
• To supply objects for study and to supervise study rooms
• To facilitate the movement, packing and display of objects across the collection and assist with training and skills-sharing as required
• To maintain and update essential object documentation, including location information
• To construct mounts and to install objects in the Museum and at other venues
• To assist with collection audits and create condition reports for objects
• To assist with the delivery of the Museum’s loans and exhibitions programme; this may involve some travel
The successful candidates will be educated to GCSE level, or equivalent, with demonstrable interest in aspects of the Museum’s collection and a good overall understanding and appreciation of materials and objects. Excellent communication and problem solving skills are essential for this role, as is the ability to work flexibly as part of a team. Practical experience of object/art handling and installation in a museum or gallery is desirable but not essential for this role.